Complete step by step guide. Submitted by Chicago painter.
Save money. Refinish cabinets instead of spending thousand for new cabinets.
The basis of cabinets refinishing and every process of painting is preparation.
- Take off all the doors and drawer fronts.
- Save the hinges and all screws. Put aside in marked box. Screws always disappear.
- Mark each door under the hinge and cover the number with a small piece of blue tape. Mark relative box with the same number.
- Paint the doors in a closed, ventilated room for example the garage.
- Cover the floor with two layers of red construction paper.
- Cover all walls with painters plastic. At least 1.2 mil thick.
- Repair all cracks, holes with hard wood filler.
- Sand the doors with 220 grit Sandpaper. Vacuum and wipe the doors with rag with mineral spirit. Repeat the procedure between each coat.
- Clean whole work area.
- For a professional finish apply the paint with airless sprayer.
- Turn off all fans, blowers.
- Paint each door separately. You must be careful to prevent overspray from sitting on already painted doors. I paint the doors in garage corner.
- Apply a thick layer of paint / primer in the middle of the door and a little thinner on the edges – to prevent paint dripping. Thick layers of paint / primer will fill wood grains.
- Leave the doors in horizontal position. As a base use two pieces of 2×4 to every door.
- Start painting from the back of the door.
- Prime coat: BIN Shellac primer. If there are a lot wood grains we apply two coats of primer.
- Paint: three coats of Sherwin Williams Satin Proclassic / Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo. Don?t save on materials.
- Apply protective coat – Minwax water based Polycrylic satin or semi-gloss varnish. Varnish prevents finish from sticking and makes surfaces more durable. Water based finish doesn?t change the color.
- With the large number of layers of paint / primer we receive factory like finish.
- Repeat the procedure at the front of the door. I leave the doors for two days before I switch the sides.
- Each coat of paint and primer must be thoroughly dry before applying the next coat.
- Paint cabinet boxes with mohair or foam quality roller instead of airless sprayer, so you don’t have to remove them for painting.
- When the topcoat is dry remove the pieces of blue tape to match doors with the boxes.
- After installing the doors ? leave them opened for at least 3 days
“How to refinish cabinets. Step by step guide.” is managed by Chicagopainter
living room decor living room layout living room sets ikea hgtv